Obesity Management Calculation Sheet (download the PDF by clicking the icon above)
1. Calculate resting energy requirement (RER)
RER = 70(BWkg 0.75) ﬁ 70( _____ kg 0.75) = ______ kcal/d
2. Calculate maintenance energy requirement (MER)
MER (intact adult): 1.8 × RER = _______ kcal/d
MER (neutered adult): 1.6 × RER = _______ kcal/d
3. Calculate obesity management energy requirement (OM)
Adult dogs OM: 60%(MER) = _______ kcal/d*
4. Choose a weight loss diet
Name of dry diet _______________________ ____ kcal/cup = _______ cup(s)/day (divide into 2 meals)
Name of canned diet ____________________ ____ kcal/can = _______ can(s)/day (divide into 2 meals)
5. Treats (limit to < 10% of total kcal intake/d)
Name of treat _____________________ _____ kcal/treat = treats allowed/day
6. Rate of weight loss
1% of body weight per week: _____ pounds to lose per week (Please weigh your pet once every 2 weeks.)
7. Exercise is strongly encouraged
- The most successful weight loss programs combine caloric restriction with exercise.
- Start out any exercise program for your pet slowly.
8. How can you tell when the pet has achieved an optimal weight?
- You should be able to feel ribs but not see them when pet is standing.
- Pet should have an hourglass figure when viewed from top.†
- Your veterinarian can also help you determine when your pet has reached an optimal weight.
* Keep in mind that these are starting levels for kilocalorie intake. They may require modification throughout weight loss program. Some pets may require fewer kilocalories than calculated here.
† If pet has thick hair coat, it is important to rely on hands-on assessment of pet, not visual assessment.
Material from Clinician’s Brief may not be reproduced, distributed, or used in whole or in part without prior permission of Educational Concepts, LLC. For questions or inquiries please contact us.