* The AAHA Weight Management Guidelines define obesity as having a BCS 8/9 or above,1 although the guidelines, as well as this algorithm, may be helpful for any pet that is above ideal body weight.
IBW = ideal body weight
MCS = muscle condition score
RER = resting energy requirement
- Brooks D, Churchill J, Fein K, et al. 2014 AAHA weight management guidelines for dogs and cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2014;50(1):1-11.
- Baldwin K, Bartges J, Buffington T, et al. AAHA nutritional assessment guidelines for dogs and cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2010;46(4):285-296.
- Freeman L, Becvarova I, Cave N, et al. WSAVA nutritional assessment guidelines. Compend Contin Educ Vet. 2011;33(8):E1-E9.
- Ellis SL, Rodan I, Carney HC, et al. AAFP and ISFM feline environmental needs guidelines. J Feline Med Surg. 2013;15(3):219-230.
- Linder D, Mueller M. Pet obesity management: beyond nutrition. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2014;44(4):789-806.
- Churchill J. Increase the success of weight loss programs by creating an environment for change. Compend Contin Educ Vet. 2010;32(12):E1.
- Laflamme DP. Development and validation of a body condition score system for cats: a clinical tool. Feline Pract. 1997;25(5):13-17.
- Michel KE, Anderson W, Cupp C, Laflamme DP. Correlation of a feline muscle mass score with body composition determined by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry. Br J Nutr. 2011;106(Suppl 1):S57-S59.
- German AJ, Holden SL, Wiseman-Orr ML, et al. Quality of life is reduced in obese dogs but improves after successful weight loss. Vet J. 2012;192(3):428-434.
- Linder DE, Parker VJ. Dietary aspects of weight management in cats and dogs. Vet Clin North Am Small Anim Pract. 2016;46(5):869-882.
- Association of American Feed Control Officials. Model regulations for pet food and specialty pet food under the model bill. In: Association of American Feed Control Officials, ed. AAFCO 2017 Official Publication. 2017:136-149. http://www.aafco.org/publications. Accessed March 1, 2017.
- Linder DE, Freeman LM, Morris P, et al. Theoretical evaluation of risk for nutritional deficiency with caloric restriction in dogs. Vet Q. 2012;32(3-4):123-129.
- Linder DE, Freeman LM, Holden SL, Biourge V, German AJ. Status of selected nutrients in obese dogs undergoing caloric restriction. BMC Vet Res. 2013;9:219.
Material from Clinician’s Brief may not be reproduced, distributed, or used in whole or in part without prior permission of Educational Concepts, LLC. For questions or inquiries please contact us.