The liver serves as the control-and-command center for virtually all metabolic processes: production, packaging, and distribution of proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates; hormonal and enzymatic control of metabolic pathways; metabolism of biologics; transformation of xenobiotics; decontamination and removal of toxins; and recirculation, recycling, and refilling of gallbladder contents. When the liver does not function at full capacity, clinical manifestations are often ubiquitous and possibly devastating.
TOP 5 Liver Conditions in Dogs
1. Hepatitis or hepatic insult
2. Hepatic fibrosis or cirrhosis
3. Copper-associated hepatitis
4. Congenital portosystemic vascular anomalies (PSVA)
5. “Nonhepatic” hepatic disease
Sign in to continue reading this article
Not registered? Create an account for free to read full articles on www.cliniciansbrief.com.