AeroKat* and AeroDawg* chambers make switching to inhaled steroids easy, resulting in better management and fewer systemic side effects.
WHY SWITCH TO INHALED STEROIDS?
Feline asthma and canine chronic bronchitis require lifelong management. Oral corticosteroids may be required in emergencies, but inhaled steroids are preferred for daily symptom control.1 Chronic use of oral steroids can lead to systemic side effects such as increased urination and weight-gain, behavioral changes, vomiting and diarrhea, and diabetes in cats.2
Inhaled medications given with an AeroKat* or AeroDawg* chamber use lower doses of drugs that directly target the lungs for effective results with fewer side effects. With proper management, cats and dogs with asthma or bronchitis can live happy and playful lives.
WILL A CAT OR DOG ACCEPT A MASK?
Yes! AeroKat* and AeroDawg* chambers make administering medicine easy—no force-feeding or hiding pills in food. Owners simply puff the medication into the chamber and allow their pet to breathe normally through the device.
Many cats and dogs associate the mask with symptom relief and come running to take their medication. And, with the Flow-Vu* Indicator, owners can easily monitor inhalation to confirm proper mask seal and medication delivery.
CONFIDENCE IN DRUG DELIVERY
- AeroKat* and AeroDawg* chambers have been helping owners and pets since 2002.
- Flow-Vu* Indicator provides visual feedback for assurance of correct use and medication delivery.
- Custom low-resistance valve designed for companion animals’ low inspiratory flow rates.
- Soft, non-stick masks go on gently without pulling hair.
WHAT ARE THE DOSING GUIDELINES?
Give 1 puff of Flovent† HFA 110 µg (<20 kg bw) or 225 µg (>20 kg bw) q12h, allowing 7-10 breaths through the chamber. Overlap with oral steroids for 2-3 weeks.1
ARE INHALED MEDICATIONS THE RIGHT CHOICE?
Just as for humans, inhaled medications are preferred for long-term maintenance and control.3
WHERE CAN DEVICES BE PURCHASED?
AeroKat*, AeroDawg*, and AeroHippus* chambers are available through all major veterinary suppliers and online at TrudellAnimalHealth.com.
HOW TO START?
Help owners make the switch and visit TrudellAnimalHealth.com/Tools for videos and counseling tools.
*Trademarks and registered trademarks of Trudell Medical International
†Flovent is a registered trademark of GlaxoSmithKline.
- Padrid P. Use of inhaled medications to treat respiratory diseases in dogs and cats. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2006;42(2):165-169.
- Rozanski E. Steroid therapy. Clinician’s Brief. 2010;8(3):80-82.
- Busse et al. Expert Panel Report 3 (EPR-3): Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Asthma-Summary Report 2007. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2007;120(5 Suppl):94-138.
Material from Clinician’s Brief may not be reproduced, distributed, or used in whole or in part without prior permission of Educational Concepts, LLC. For questions or inquiries please contact us.