As business manager of My Veterinary Career, a nationwide veterinary matchmaking company, my team and I review thousands of résumés each year. The above quote comes from a 2015 veterinary graduate’s résumé and appears, in various forms, on at least 75% of résumés we review.
“Mentorship” is no longer synonymous with “hand-holding” and is winning the credibility it deserves in veterinary medicine. Mentorship has a plethora of benefits for both the mentee and mentor, including1:
- Ability to recruit top-tier new graduates
- Faster progression of the mentee toward production
- Higher levels of veterinary care and client communication
- Increased mentee confidence and skill level
- More effective strategies for succession
- Reduced team member turnover.
I am also fortunate to be a practice owner and manager. The benefits of mentorship and seeing how much graduates desire it sold me on its value.